CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 12, 2011

30 Thoughts on Turning the BIG 3-0

"When you turn thirty, a whole new thing happens: you see yourself acting like your parents."
-Blair Sabol-


On Saturday I turned what they call the BIG 3-0.  I am reminded of some lyrics of a song by Tim McGraw "I think I'll take a moment, celebrate my age.  The ending of an era, and the turning of a page."


*1.  Is it any coincidence that "XXX" is the Roman Numeral for 30?
*2.I’m at the age most pro athletes are considered to have finished their prime and are headed downhill for the rest of their career. 
*3.  It’s now near scientifically impossible to fit that many candles on a regular-sized cake. Not that the fire marshal would allow such a hazard. 
*4.  When filling out customer surveys I can’t click on the “Age: 25-29” box anymore.
*5.  Toys and TV shows I played with as a kid are retro and back in style.  Examples:   Smurfs and Care bears.  Similarly, I find myself regaling youths about stories of “back in my day.” 
*6.  By age 30 … Ben Franklin had regularly published “Poor Richard’s Almanac,” purchased The Pennsylvania Gazette, printed the currency for New Jersey and been appointed Postmaster of Philadelphia … John Wayne had already appeared in 76 movies … Albert Einstein had already come up with E = MC(squared) and the Theory of Relativity … Michelangelo a year before finished the statue of David .


Makes one think "what have I done?"
My sister asked how it felt to be 30 and I thought hmm, not much different then 29.  Now going from 29 to 30 in a days time isn't likely to be a dramatic change, but has made me think of things that have happened over the past decade.


*7.  We have lost a total of 6 grandparents.
*8.  I have gained a total of 18 immediate family members
*9.  I became a mother
*10.  We bought our first house and we still live there
*11.  I have witnessed 4 baby blessings of my children (countless others)
*12.  I watched my daughter be baptized
*13.  I watched my husband get his masters degree
*14.  I had my own business for a time
*15.  I started working for my mom
*16.  My kids started school
*17.  We owned a dog for a while, (until he ran away, that's a story for another blog)
*18.  We have felt what it was like to have money and not worry about it
*19.  We have felt what it's like to loose money and have to be very frugal
*20.  I have potty trained 3 kids
*21.  I have probably slept for somewhere around 3 years in total (that's a little crazy when you think about it)
*22.  I have gained a total of around 180 pounds (not all at once)
*23.  I have lost around 150 pounds (for you math genius' out there, yes I still have 30 pounds to take off)
*24.  I have gained a love of reading
*25.  We are on our 2nd video camera, fridge, washer & Dryer, Vacuum, Microwave, TV, counter tops, & house painting.  We are on our 3rd computer, our 4th & 5th cars (we have 2), and our 4th picture camera.  However, we still have the same carpet, same bed, dresser, nightstands, dishwasher, air conditioner, stove, couch, and one of the TVs from when we got married.


That is what we have accomplished just in the last 10 years.  It may not be the Theory of Relativity, but I am happy and I am so very blessed with so many great things in life.  It's been a great 30 year and as the song I mentioned before is titled "My Next 30 Years."  What will I have accomplished in my next 30 years or even 10 years?  Who knows?  But, it's always good to set yourself some goals. . .


*26.  Have 1 more baby
*27.  Get a house with a bigger yard (okay, I know this one is more of a "thing" and shouldn't be important, but hey, it's something that I would like.
*28.  Travel more, not just Disneyland and Lake Powell, although they would be on the list.
*29.  Be closer to the spirit, this is always a worthy goal and it keeps you happy.
*30.  Do more fun things as a family and with my kids.


I know some of my goals are quite broad, but if I tried to make them more specific then it would be a lot more then "30 Things" and since that was the point of this post, I will be more vague and broad.  My yearly goals can be more specific right?


Well, another decade has passed, I am now 2 days into my 4th.  When they use the term "Over the Hill" what age do you think they are talking about.  I think when I was in high school I probably would have thought 30 but now that I am here, it doesn't really feel that old.  I guess age is viewed in different perspectives.  I remember as an elementary student, thinking high schoolers were old, until I passed that age.  In high school, I thought missionaries and people in there 20's were old and mature, until I have now passed that age.  It's all in what your perspective is.  I still think I am climbing that hill, when I finally get to the age that I will consider "Over the Hill" I guess I can look forward to it with the thought, that coming down a hill is a whole lot easier then going up it right?  "Just remember, once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed."
Charles Schulz


"Age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Jack Benny





1 comment:

Lisa said...

great thoughts! isn't it crazy to think we're 30?!! i did the same thing as you, and totally analyzed my life, its crazy what has happened in the last 10 years, and wonder what the next 10 will bring. i'm not looking forward to being 40! hopefully life slows down a bit before then!!